Monday, August 4, 2014

USA - Idaho


From the card: 

Needle in Grand Canyon near Tower Fall, Yellowstone Park is similar to the rock spires nearby, which are responsible for the name of Tower Fall in Tower Creek near this point.  These names originated with the Washburn party of 1870.

I know I've said it before, but I love these kind of white border postcards.  Today is the first of a two-day special posting.  This and tomorrow's card both were found in a box at my grandmother's house and were mailed by my grandparents to my father in 1971.  

This card was dated on August 4, 1971 and postmarked on August 5th.  That would make this card 43 years old today.  The card was printed by Haynes Studios, Inc., of Bozeman, Montana.

The message on the back of the card:

We already used up 5 rolls of film.  Our motel tonight is across from Idaho state Univ.[ersity].  The campus is beautiful.  Yellowstone is beautiful.  The nights + mornings are cold + afternoons hot.
Ma + Pa

2 comments:

  1. How amazing to have those old family cards still on your hands! I think you are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was surprised when I found them. When they died I would have thought that something like that would have been tossed away very quickly.

      I know their old Kodak Brownie camera was probably tossed out well before I could save it.

      Delete